Hutterdorf Village Information
|Region:||Black Sea||Founded:||1857||German Name:||Hutterdorf|
Village Coordinator: Volunteer Needed
Notes: Hutterdorf, also known as Kucheva, was a communal property village established by 33 families from Johannesruh located Orekhov, 80 miles north of Huttertal. Between 1874 and 1879 all Hutterite families (except two who became Mennonites) left Russia and came to the United States where they settled in South Dakota.
Pioneer surnames: Fast, Gross, Hofer, Janzen, Kleinsasser, Knels, Stahl, Tschetter, Walter, Waldner, Wipf, Wollman, and Wurtz.
From Catherine to Khruschev by Dr. Adam Giesinger (page 132)
History of the Hutterite Mennonites by Arnold M. Hofer and Kenneth J. Walter (page 96)
Hutterite Roots by Arnold M. Hofer and Norman Hofer (page 94)
The Russia Record - Hutterite Family Records from the early 1700s to ~1874 by Tony Waldner
Map of the Hutterite Colonies: From Catherine to Khruschev by Dr. Adam Giesinger (page 100)
Many of the ship names and dates can be found in the book Hutterite Roots.
Search the Letter Archives for this Village
Regional Interest Group for this Village: KET RIG
|GRHS Home Page|