Researching your ancestors?
You have come to the right place, especially if you are new
to researching your German-Russian ancestors.
Below are step by step directions to get you started.
Step #1: Getting started
- Best place to start is our Genealogy Tips
section where you will find a number of "how to" and "Q&A" articles ranging
from Genealogy Basics to understanding GRHS acronyms.
Step #2: GRs in North America
- Not sure where in South Russia your ancestor came from? GRHS has Area Coordinators, volunteers who
are the research focal point for geographical areas within the U.S. and Canada.
- ACs create Area pages to help you find the information you are looking for.
- Can't find an AC for your area of focus? Don't worry! Check out our AC Projects page.
Step #3: Surname Search
- Search our Genealogy Database
for your surname (pedigree/family data charts, GEDCOMs, death notices, and RIG-focused databases all searchable at the same time!).
- Check out Letter Archive and Obituaries Online Index Project.
- Search the whole GRHS website (including chapter/RIG web pages!).
- We also offer a Surname Exchange for GRHS
Step #4: Regions in Russia
- Visit the Clearing House (CH) Project page. The CH coordinates research activities within GRHS and provides a wealth of indices, translations, etc.
- Join the Regional Interest Group (RIG) that focuses on where your ancestor lived in South Russia (it's online and free to GRHS members).
- Make sure you subscribe to the RIG’s online discussion group to connect with others researching in the same area.
- Not sure which RIG to join? Find your village in our village pages. The village’s RIG is in
parenthesis (not all villages have a RIG). If you can't find the name of your village, try our complete German-Russian Village List.
- Make contact with the Village Coordinator (VC),(volunteer research focal point
for Black Sea German villages), for your village. Our VCs and village pages can provide a wealth of information.
- Connect with others by joining a local chapter.
Step #5: Research in Germany
- Need to research your ancestors' origins? GRHS has Ort Coordinators, volunteers who are the research focal point for geographical areas in Germany.
- Check out the latest Ort Projects.
Step #6: Need Assistance?
- Too busy to do your own research? Contact GRHS Research Services and they will lend a helping hand.
- Would you like to volunteer to help others find their families? Contact