GRHS logo

Research

searchSearch this site 

How To

 Join the Bessarabia RIG
Join the GRHS
Change E-mail form

To retrieve your GRHS password? Email us at access@grhs.org

FacebookBecome a Friend to the GRHS on Facebook

 

Bortscheag, Bessarabia

Village Coordinator:   Elvire Necker-Eberhardt

Remarks:  From the 1860s the French (most likely Elsacian) owners Adolf Schlinger and Julia Sponer, with the help of their manager Alfred Scherer (A.Kern Heimatbuch, p. 107), employed a group of German workers on their estate. Later on these people bought land in the villages of Unter-Albota, Albota, and Sofiewka. The Estate Bortscheag was situated west of the river Jalbug. The village of Bortscheag grouped around the former manor house still existed in 1940 and was situated about 6 km northeast of the villages of Albota and Sofiewka. In the middle of the 1800s this estate consisted of about 8,000 desjatines which bit by bit were sold off, the last 1,000 desjatines in 1912 to found the village of Neu-Dennewitz (Bess. HK 1952, p.85).

Books
From Catherine to Khruschev by Dr. Adam Giesinger (page 120)
Homeland Book of the Bessarabian Germans by Pastor Albert Kern, village history (pp.52), list of MIA/deaths in WWI/II pp. 319.

Village History 
Homeland Book of the Bessarabian Germans by Pastor Albert Kern

Bortscheag Estate records from Elvire's Korner

Bessarabia research resources

Birth and Marriage Records- Dobrudscha from Gary Bettcher

Search the Letter Archives for this Village